For more similar fabulous winter braai salads recipes click here! more recipes…
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 300g pears (about 2 medium), quartered lengthwise and cored
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar, divided
- 1/2 c. shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
- 4 honey
- 1 head of frisée or 2 medium hearts of romaine, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 c. crumbled blue cheese I like gorgonzola best or BlueRock (cuz local is lekker)
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil until just smoking. Add pears in a single layer cut side down and cook, flipping halfway through, until golden brown on both cut sides, 4 to 6 minutes total; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Gently stir until liquid is thickened and coats pears, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer pears to a plate and let cool. Halve each piece of pear lengthwise.
- Wipe skillet clean and heat over medium-high heat. Toast pumpkin seeds, stirring frequently, until fragrant and just starting to brown and pop, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to another plate and let cool.
- Return skillet to medium heat. Pour in sugar, shaking pan so it settles in an even layer. Cook, undisturbed, until sugar melts and is deep golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a heatproof spatula, stir in pumpkin seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt. When pumpkin seeds clump together with sugar, transfer to plate and let cool until cool enough to handle. Break into small, bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk honey and remaining 4 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Fold in greens, gently tossing to combine; season again with salt and pepper, if needed. Top with pear slices, pumpkin seeds, and blue cheese.
Get ingredients for this recipe here!