For more similar awesome fish braai recipes click here! more recipes…
1 Whole fish, gutted and scaled (Main)
30 g Red chillies, (frozen long red chillis from Asian stores are great for marinades) (Main)
40 ml Fish sauce
15 g Green peppercorns, (available in brine from Asian stores)
30 g Galangal, (available frozen from Asian stores) (Main)
15 g Turmeric root, (available frozen from Asian stores)
50 ml Canola oil
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until a smooth paste, or bash all ingredients except the oil in a mortar and pestle and then mix in the oil at the end.
- Clean the fish and pat dry. Make sure all the scales have been removed and then make some deep cuts in each side of the fish and slather the marinade all over, pushing it right into the cuts of meat to get the flavor in there. Leave to marinate for an hour or up to overnight.
- Lay out a piece of foil, then put some baking paper on top. Lay the fish on the paper and wrap the fish into a parcel.
- Put the parcel on the grill and cook until the flesh is cooked through (check after 12 minutes or so, then every few minutes after ) cook time depends on the size of your fish and how hot the bbq is. If your bbq has a lid, then cook with the lid down.
- Put 2T flaky sea salt into a saucer with some chopped chilis as a dipping sauce. Grill some lime halves on the bbq then squeeze them over the salt to make a slurry.
- Serve with any fresh herbs you find, such as coriander, mint, Thai basil, Vietnamese mint.