- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Rub in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, lemon zest, and lavender flowers. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot to 350°F. Fry the strips of dough, a few at a time, until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, honey, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dip the koeksisters in the syrup while still warm, turning to coat thoroughly. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the koeksisters at room temperature or chilled, with the syrup drizzled over the top.
Enjoy your delicious and fragrant Lemon and Lavender Koeksisters!