Skip to content
- 700-750g dry-aged T-bone steak
- vegetable or rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp aleppo chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp espresso coffee grounds
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- coriander, finely chopped to make 2 tbsp
- 50g salted butter, softened
- 1 lemon, zested
- Pat the steak dry with kitchen paper, and rub 1 tbsp oil into the steak. Mix the dry rub ingredients together with a good grinding of black pepper and rub into the steak.
- Leave to marinate for 2 hours, removing from the fridge after 11/2 hours to come up to room temperature.
- Mash the butter ingredients together with some seasoning, then wrap into a sausage shape in clingfilm and chill.
- Heat the braai . Heat grill
- Tap the steak to remove the excess rub, drizzle with a little more oil, and sear the fat side of the steak for a few minutes to render, holding it on its end with tongs.
- Then sear for 4-5 minutes on each side, until charred and it has a good crust.. Cut the chilled butter into discs and serve on top of the rested steak.