For more similar awesome steak braai recipes click here! more recipes…
- 1 large or 2 smaller sirloin steaks (or your choice of steak), about 300g
- 250g pouch of cooked puy lentils
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2-3 roasted red peppers from a jar, torn into smaller pieces
- 2 large handfuls of rocket
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 25g parmesan
Take the steak out of the fridge an hour before you want to cook it.
Heat a frying or griddle pan until it’s smoking hot. Meanwhile, warm the lentils following pack instructions, then tip them onto a big plate or platter to cool a little. Rub the oil over the steak and season generously, then put in the hot pan. Cook to your liking (rare to medium-rare works well for this dish and will take around 2 mins on each side, or a little longer if the steak is particularly thick).
Transfer to a plate and leave to rest for a few minutes, loosely covered with foil.
Put one lemon half in the pan, cut-side down, and char it over a high heat for a minute – this will make it extra juicy. Scatter the peppers and rocket over the warm lentils, drizzle with the vinegar and extra virgin olive oil and season with salt.
Toss together lightly using your hands.
- Slice the steak as thinly as you can and arrange it over the top of the salad. Cut thin shards of parmesan straight from the block, crumble them a little in your hands, then scatter over the top. Serve the lemon on the side for squeezing over.