For more similar awesome chicken braai recipes click here! more recipes…
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 lemongrass stalk (inner core only), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 5cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbs tamari
- 1/2 cup (125g) almond butter
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage (wombok), finely shredded
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 kale leaves, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup (35g) sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 8 (800g) chicken thigh fillets, cut in half
- To make satay, melt coconut oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add lemongrass, garlic, ginger, onion and chilli flakes, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add coconut sugar, tamarind paste, tamari, almond butter, juice of 1 lime and 1 cup (250ml) water.
- Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until combined. Season to taste, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Place all cabbage, kale and sesame seeds in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Whisk sesame oil and juice of remaining 2 limes in a separate bowl, then toss with slaw.
- Preheat a braai to high. Thread chicken onto skewers and lightly brush all over with 1/3 cup (100g) satay sauce.
- Cook, turning, for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Serve chicken with slaw and remaining satay sauce.
Get ingredients for this recipe here!
You must be logged in to post a comment.