Skip to content
For more similar awesome braai potato salad recipes click here! more recipes…
- 1kg kipfler potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthways into 1cm-thick slices
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 90g (1/4 cup) tamarind paste or purée
- 70g (1⁄3 cup) brown sugar
- 125g (1⁄2 cup) thick natural yoghurt
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 30g (1/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded mint, plus extra to serve
- Preheat a barbecue grill to high. Place the potato in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Toss until well coated, then season well and toss again. Grill the potato for a minute each side or until charred and tender.
- Meanwhile, get your caramel ready. Combine the tamarind, sugar and 60ml (1/4 cup) water in a small saucepan and stir over very low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat slightly and bring to a gentle simmer; be careful, the mixture can spit as it starts to bubble. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until the syrup is nice and thick.
- Combine the yoghurt and lemon juice in a jug and season well.
- Place the celery, spring onion, almonds and shredded mint in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Arrange half the potato slices on a serving platter. Dot half the yoghurt mixture and half the tamarind caramel on top, then sprinkle with half the celery mixture.
- Repeat the layers, then scatter with the extra mint leaves and a sprinkling of salt and serve.