For more of the best braai salad recipes click here! more recipes…
- 1kg Jerusalem artichokes, thickly sliced (smaller artichokes halved)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (50g) roasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 bunch baby rocket
- 100g gorgonzola dolce, cut into thin wedges (substitute other blue cheese)
- Chervil sprigs, to serve
WALNUT AND VERJUICE DRESSING
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs verjuice
- 2 tbs walnut oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 2 baking trays and line with baking paper. Divide artichoke between prepared trays.
- Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Roast, stirring halfway, for 1 hour or until tender.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Cook, swirling the pan, for 2-3 minutes or until butter foams and turns nut brown. Toss through artichoke and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the candied walnuts, place walnuts on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place sugar in a non-stick frypan over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until golden. Pour caramel over walnuts and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the dressing, combine mustard and verjuice in a bowl. Gradually whisk in walnut oil until well combined. Set aside.
- Coarsely break up candied walnuts and add to a bowl with artichoke mixture, rocket, gorgonzola and a little dressing.
- Toss gently. Scatter with chervil and drizzle with remaining dressing to serve.