Skip to content
For more of the best chicken braai recipes click here! more recipes…
- 1.6kg whole chicken, butterflied
- 1/4 cup (30g) ras el hanout (Moroccan spice blend from Middle Eastern food stores and selected grocers)
- 1 cup (280g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Cut 2 shallow slits in each breast and leg, then rub salt flakes all over the chicken.
- Combine ras el hanout, yoghurt, lemon juice and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat well. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Preheat a braai with a hood to medium-high.)Remove chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Drizzle with oil and cook, breast-side down, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden. Close barbecue hood and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes.
- Season grilled chicken with salt and serve with lime.