For more similar awesome braai dessert recipes click here! more braai dessert recipes…
A fruity and tropical braai dessert!
FOR THE BRAAI DESSERT RUB
- 1 cup turbinado sugar, such as Sugar in the Raw
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place the sugar in a bowl and whisk in the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
- Transfer to a jar, cover, and store away from heat and light.
FOR THE SPICED SMOKED WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 tablespoons Dessert Rub
- 2 tablespoons mezcal or 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
For the Pineapple
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons Dessert Rub
- 1 juicy ripe pineapple, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (core it or not, your choice)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (use a Thai or Latino brand)
- Ground cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Make the whipped cream: Place the cream and Dessert Rub in a chilled metal bowl. Beat to soft peaks with an electric mixer. Add the mezcal or liquid smoke and continue beating to firm peaks. Keep chilled.
- Set up a grill for direct grilling and preheat it to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.
- Place the Dessert Rub in a shallow bowl next to the grill. Brush each pineapple slice on both sides with coconut milk, then completely dredge it in the rub, shaking off any excess.
- Arrange the pineapple slices over the hot fire and grill until darkly browned (the sugar should start to caramelize) on both sides, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter or plates. Top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and shake a little ground cinnamon or grate some nutmeg on top.