#classicbraaimilktart #traditionalmilktart #cinnamon #nutmeg
This recipe for Classic Braai Milktart will take you back to the days when desserts were cooked over a fire. This traditional milk tart is made with a creamy custard filling, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and is cooked in a cast iron pan on the Braai.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 cup butter, melted
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 cup milk
– 2 tablespoons melted butter
– 2 cups whole milk
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 2 tablespoons cornstarch
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat your Braai to a medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar, then whisk in the eggs one at a time.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until fully combined.
5. Pour the milk into the mixture and mix until a thick batter forms.
6. Grease a 9-inch cast iron pan with the melted butter.
7. Pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly.
8. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, eggs, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens.
9. Pour the filling over the batter in the pan and spread it out evenly.
10. Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the tart.
11. Put the pan on the Braai and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the tart is lightly browned and the filling is set.
12. Allow the tart to cool before serving. Enjoy!