#Saffron #Koeksisters #Dessert #Delicious #Treat #Sweet #Recipe #Yum
Luxurious Saffron-Infused Koeksisters Recipe
Indulge in this luxurious and decadent Koeksisters recipe, bursting with sweet, saffron-infused flavor! This sweet treat is a unique combination of a classic South African pastry with an exotic twist. The saffron-soaked syrup locks in the moisture as the koeksisters are baked to perfection, creating a crunchy, yet chewy delight that is sure to please.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground saffron
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the melted butter and milk and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Roll the dough out to ¼-inch thickness and cut into 2-inch strips.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the saffron, water, honey, and vanilla extract. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the strips of dough and fry for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the koeksisters to a large bowl and pour the saffron syrup over top. Gently stir to coat the koeksisters evenly.
- Transfer the koeksisters to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Serve warm.