- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1-2 fresh chillies, finely chopped (seeds removed for less spiciness)
- Desiccated coconut, for coating
For the syrup:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, egg, lime zest, and chopped chillies.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into long thin ropes.
- Cut the ropes into small pieces, about 5cm in length.
- Heat up oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Fry the dough pieces until golden brown, then remove them from the oil and let them cool on paper towels.
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar, water, and lime juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dip the cooled koeksusters into the hot syrup, making sure they are coated evenly.
- Roll the syrup-coated koeksusters in desiccated coconut until they are fully coated.
- Let the koeksusters cool and the coconut to set before serving. Enjoy!