- 3 aubergines, sliced lengthways into ½cm slices
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp aleppo pepper flakes, (see cook’s notes)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
CHARRED ONION SALSA
- 4 medium onions, sliced into thick rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, finely shredded
- ½ tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- couscous mixed with soft herbs, (such as mint and coriander)
- greek yogurt, seasoned with salt
- STEP 1
Light the barbecue. Meanwhile, sprinkle the aubergine slices on both sides with 1 tbsp of salt. Allow to drain in a colander or sieve for 30 minutes, then rinse and pat dry.
- STEP 2
To make the salsa, put the onion slices over direct heat on the barbecue (skewering them first will make them more stable) and cook for 8 minutes or until lightly charred on both sides. Finely chop and mix with the other salsa ingredients, plus some salt and pepper. Set aside.
- STEP 3
Combine the molasses, cumin, cinnamon, aleppo pepper, sumac and olive oil, and mix to a paste. Brush evenly over the aubergine slices and thread them, concertina style, onto six skewers, packing them quite tightly.
- STEP 4
Cook on the barbecue for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft and lightly charred. Serve with the onion salsa, herby couscous and yogurt.