Skip to content
For more the best foil braai pocket recipes click here! more recipes…
- Cooking spray, for foil
- 1 c. salsa verde, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 3/4 instant rice
- 1 3/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving, optional
- Avocado slices, for serving, optional
- Hot sauce, for serving, optional
- In a large bowl, combine salsa verde, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and garlic. Add chicken and toss until covered. Marinate for 20 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Heat grill (or grill pan). Cut 8 large sheets of foil, then double them up on top of one another to make 4 thick pieces. Spray generously with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine instant rice and broth and let stand for about 5 minutes, or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in lime juice and zest, then divide mixture between foil packets. Top rice with black beans.
- Remove chicken from marinade and season all over with salt and pepper. Place on top of rice and black beans then top with cheese.
- Fold and seal edges of foil to create a packet, then grill until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes, rotating packets half way through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with more salsa verde, lime wedges, and hot sauce, if using.