- 2 large aubergines
- ¼ C (60 ml) olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 200 g hard cheese, such as Cheddar or mozzarella, grated
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- Slice the aubergines lengthways into 1-cm thick slices. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Use the aubergine slices as sandwiches and fill with cheese and slices of tomato.
- Braai over medium coals or under a hot grill until the aubergines are brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with tzatziki or guacamole.
You can also add sliced onion, salami, pesto or smoked cheese to the aubergine braaibroodjies.