For more similar awesome chicken braai recipes click here! more recipes…
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb.) whole chicken, halved
- 1 cup hickory chips
- Whisk together first 12 ingredients. Pour mixture into a 1-gal. zip-top plastic freezer bag; add chicken. Seal bag, and turn to coat. Chill chicken 8 to 12 hours.
- Pile hot coals on 1 side of grill, leaving other side empty. Let grill heat up, covered with grill lid, 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 300°. (Go to southernliving.com/bbqchicken for gas grill instructions.)
- Place chicken, skin-side up, in a 13- x 9-inch disposable aluminum foil pan. Pour marinade over chicken. Sprinkle hickory chips over hot coals. Place pan with chicken on unlit side of grill.
- Grill, covered with grill lid and maintaining internal temperature at 200°, 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 175°. Spoon pan drippings over chicken.