For more similar awesome braai broodjies recipes click here! more recipes…
- 6 slices bread (white or brown)
- Approximately 3 tablespoons softened butter to spread over the bread
- 1 onion, raw and finely sliced
2 to 3 onions, fried until caramelized (see notes below)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Sliced or grated cheese
- Salt and grinded black pepper to season
Optional flavours to taste to make the sandwich even tastier:
- Chutney and / or mayonnaise
- Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley chives or chopped coriander
- Spread butter on both sides of the bread slices (butter on the outside of the sandwiches will ensure a crisp, golden crust).
- Placing tomato and onion slices on half of the slices, season with salt and pepper, or seasoning of your taste, and top with cheese.
- Add optional sauces such as mayonnaise and chutney.
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
- Coat a clean grid lightly with Spray and Cook or cooking oil, place the sandwiches inside a barbeque grid (see notes), and slowly toast them until they are golden brown.