#CoconutDustedCapeMalayKoeksisters #Koeksisters #CapeMalay #Coconut #SouthAfricanCuisine #Desserts #Sweets #Baking
This Coconut-Dusted Cape Malay Koeksisters recipe is a delicious South African dessert that is sure to please. It combines a traditional Cape Malay recipe with a heavenly coconut glaze that adds a unique flavor to the sweet treat. The dough is fried until golden brown, then dipped in a sugary syrup and finished off with a generous dusting of coconut. Follow this recipe for an easy and delicious treat that can be enjoyed as a dessert or a snack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup white sugar, for the syrup
- 1/2 cup water, for the syrup
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, for dusting
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 12 inches long and 1 inch thick. Join the ends of the rope to form a ring. Place the rings on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the rings in batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the rings from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain.
- In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and water over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Dip the rings in the syrup to coat. Place the rings on a wire rack and sprinkle with coconut. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve the Coconut-Dusted Cape Malay Koeksisters and enjoy!