Looking for a unique and flavorful dessert recipe? Try this South African-style Mango and Chilli Milk Tart with a crust made of Marie biscuits!
The sweet and spicy combination of mango and chilli is perfectly balanced by the creamy and rich filling made with whole milk, eggs, and sweetened condensed milk.
The crunchy and buttery biscuit crust adds the perfect textural contrast. This recipe is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Impress your guests with this delicious and unexpected dessert!:
- 200g Marie biscuits
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 can (397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red chili, seeds removed and finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Crush the Marie biscuits into fine crumbs using a food processor or by placing them in a ziplock bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
- Add the melted butter to the biscuit crumbs and mix until fully combined.
- Press the biscuit mixture into a 20cm/8-inch tart tin, making sure to spread it evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the condensed milk, whole milk, and butter over medium heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and cornstarch until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the milk mixture into the cooled crust and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Combine the chopped mango and chili and sprinkle them over the top of the milk mixture.
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling has set and the top is lightly golden.
- Remove the tart from the oven and let it cool to room temperature before slicing and serving. Enjoy!