For more similar awesome braai broodjies recipes click here! more recipes…
- 12 slices bread
- butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 400 g baby spinach (or normal spinach, finely sliced)
- 200 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 240 g cheddar cheese, sliced or grated
- salt and pepper
- Heat a tot of oil or butter in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add spinach and fry for a few minutes until wilted and half the size, and any excess water released has cooked off.
- Remove from heat, add feta and mix well. Season.
- Spread butter or olive oil on one side of each slice of bread (these sides will be outward-facing in the assembled braaibroodjie). Pack half of these slices buttered-side down and layer with the spinach mixture and cheese. Close the braaibroodjies with the remaining bread slices, buttered sides facing upwards.
- “Braaibroodjies is draaibroodjies”: Braaibroodjies should be turned often and braaied in a closed, hinged grid. You want medium-paced, gentle heat and the grid should be relatively high. Your aim is for the cheese to be melted and all other fillings to be completely heated by the time the outsides are golden brown. A great tip is to slightly open and close the hinged grid a few times after each of the first few turns of the braai process as it helps the braaibroodjies not to get stuck to the grid.
- Once done, slice each braaibroodjie in half and serve immediately.