For more similar awesome chicken braai recipes click here! more recipes…
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil or Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
- 1 small or medium lime, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 ½ pounds chicken drumsticks, skin removed (or chicken breasts and/or thighs will also work)
- To garnish:
- Chopped Honey Roasted Peanuts
- Diced green onion
- Diced cilantro
- Make the chicken marinade. In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, water, oil, honey, brown sugar, lime juice, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of marinade and place in a small bowl in the fridge.
- You’ll use this for glazing the chicken on the grill later.
- Marinate the chicken: Pat the drumsticks dry, remove the skin, season them with a pinch of salt, and add them to the large bowl or a shallow dish with the Thai chicken marinade.
- Mix to coat the chicken evenly, then marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- About a half hour before you’re ready to cook the chicken, remove the chicken from the marinade and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat a grill to 200´C
- Grill the chicken: brush the hot grill grate with oil. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 8 minutes, then flip.
- Generously brush each drumstick with the reserved marinade a few times, and grill for an additional 8 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over one last time, brush again with the remaining marinade, and cook for 5 more minutes or until no pink remains in the center of the chicken.
- To serve: Place the chicken on a platter or large plate, then garnish with honey roasted peanuts, diced green onion and cilantro. Serves 4, 2 drumsticks each.
Get ingredients for this recipe here!