For more of the best chicken braai recipes click here! more recipes…
- 1 large chicken
- 1 whole garlic
- 4 bay leafs
- 1 sheet muslin cloth
- 4 a hay
- 1 bottle cider
- Salt and pepper
- BBQ with a lid
Place the chicken on the baking sheet, and season all over with the garlic powder mixture. This cider can chicken is a real BBQ showstopper. Cooking the chicken over a can keeps the meat moist and full of flavour while the peppy chimichurri sauce takes it to another level. In a medium bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, honey, ketchup and onion and mix well.
- Light the Braai. Once the coals are hot move to the side for indirect heat and put on the lid. Get up to about 180c
- Flatten the whole garlic cloves. Stuff the chicken with half of the bay leafs and garlic and place the others on top. Season
- Wrap the chicken in muslin and tie with string
- In a pan create a bed of hay. Place the chicken on top and moisten the hay by pouring in the cider. Tuck all the hay in so it doesn’t overhang and catch fire 🔥
- Place on the bbq and cook with the lid on for approx 1:30-2hrs
- Halfway through cooking flip the chicken and pour in more cider to keep moist
- Undo the muslin after the chicken had cooked till the juices run clear
- On a direct coal heat now grill the skin until browned. Approx 5mins
- Rest, carve and enjoy
Get ingredients for this recipe here!
You must be logged in to post a comment.